[mythtv-users] S-Video Output PVR250 or PVR350???

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Sun Mar 21 17:53:59 EST 2004

I've got the same setup almost (Gentoo 2.4, 2.4Ghz Pentium, ivtv .19
drivers) and have a horrid time with dvd playing - very jumpy or jerky.
Perhaps it's the patches you've applied to the ivtv driver.

I just use the dvd player for dvds, and the mythbox as a super vcr sort
of thing...

Ah well - I've also had the problem with the lockups when doing any
serious OSD, so I have a monitor installed under the tv for myth
programming.

See ya

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Niklas Brunlid
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2004 4:04 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] S-Video Output PVR250 or PVR350???

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 08:27:24 -0500, J. Donavan Stanley
<jdonavan at jdonavan.net> wrote:

> Niklas Brunlid wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:10:50 -0500, John Kuhn <kuhn at razorsys.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> it surely doesnt hurt to have both.. the 350 is superior quality and

>>> lower overhead for decoding (since it will be then using the onboard
>>> decoder) but its uses a rather slow frame buffer.. playing
>>> dvds/divx/games elese is rather slow and jerky..
>>

>> I've read this a couple of times now, and in my case it just isn't
>> true - I watch DVD:s (through Xine) and video files (through mplayer)

>> on my 350 often, and the framebuffer is definately fast enough. I get

>> some tearing, particularly (sp?) in slow-panning scenes and action
>> sequences, but I suspect that it isn't speed but rather framesynching

>> that's the issue.
>

> How big is your CPU and how much of it is in use when you do so?

My CPU is a 2.4GHz P4 in a Pundit box. When playing a normal DVD-rip
(xvid) mplayer tops out at around 14-15%, coupled with an X usage of
3-4%.
Together around 20%.

I run Gentoo on a 2.6.4 kernel with Mathias' ivtv X driver for 2.6
(version 0.1.9 with some patches IIRC). This might be the key to my
success with DVDs/video files.

No lockups or lost recordings if the box is left alone, and the only
lockups I've got are when fast-forwarding or rewinding when watching a
recording (hard freeze that requires a reboot), though I think I've
learned to avoid it by not pressing ffwd/rew again until the actual
playback has restarted after the last press.

/ Niklas