[mythtv-users] Problem with TV-Card

Andrew Jamieson ajd1 at optusnet.com.au
Sat Mar 20 01:52:23 EST 2004

> I think I broke the Tv-Card. What happens is that the quality of the
picture
> for some channels (specifically above 65) is very poor (you know with
snow).
> A consequence of my action is that now the metallic thing on which the
cable is
> screwed on and which is connected to the tuner can freely rotate.

Sounds like you've broken the connection to the tuner module.  This is often
just a simple solder joint to provide the type of connection that the
company is interested in providing (F-type, 75 Ohm RF, etc).  The reason it
affects some channels more than others will be the frequency of the
channel - the higher the channel frequency, the more problems like this will
affect the reception. You will in fact find that the signal from most PC
tuners suffer as the frequency increases regarless of proper connection or
not ...

> Is somebody outthere who knows about these things and can give me some
> informations about how to fix the damage?

If you're at all handy with a soldering iron, you could have a go at
re-applying the connection.  If this is indeed the problem  -  you may be
unfortunate and find that you've snapped something off in the tuner module
itself, in which case you may be out of luck ...

Andrew Jamieson

---