[mythtv-users] Suggestion for using nforce2 board for MythTV HTPC.

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 15 16:06:01 EST 2004

On Monday 15 March 2004 15:27, Brian Wagener wrote:
> I am in the planning stages for building a linux HTPC/server, and
> want to make sure the hardware I put together is compatible with the
> software I have available.  What I have been leaning towards is using
> a nforce2 board with IGP, and a mobile XP cpu.  So I have a few
> questions about using the nforce2 board.  First about sound, I read
> that there is 2 southbridge chips, MCP and MCP-T, and only the MCP-T
> can do AC-3.  Is this true?  This computer is going to be hooked up
> to an external surround sound reciever, and I want to have surround
> sound from movies that are in AC-3, and be able to have mp3's played
> on all speakers.  Can I do this in MythTV?

Don't know about sound, but one word of caution:  IGP + MCP-T boards are
very difficult to find in anything other than a full-ATX form factor.
There are only a few OEMs that make them, and only one that I've come
across (the AOpen MK79-1394) that has a TV-out bracket; the others all
have dual-VGA ports.  If you find a good IGP + MCP-T board, please
post!

> Now about the video.  I don't want to have to run X, since the only
> output is going to be MythTV.  I have read that I can run MythTV
> displayed in a framebuffer using QT Embedded, will this work with the
> nforce2 IGP?

I think it should, though I haven't tried it on my GF4MX yet... I
believe the recent NVidia boards are not the best supported by
DirectFB, but they're supposed to work, at least, IIRC.

> If the answers are yes for the above questions, and suggestions for a
> nforce2 mobo that has these features? IGP and MCP-T, TV Out,Passive
> Cooling

See above.  If you want SFF (micro-ATX or smaller), then the AOpen
MK79G-1394 is the only one I've found.  There's a Shuttle (IIRC) board
that's a close second, with dual-VGA instead of TV-out.  And there are
a small number of full-ATX boards by various manufacturers.

-JAC