[mythtv-users] DVD audio/video offset?

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 15 15:27:34 EST 2004

>From: Bruce Smith <brucesmith at chartermi.net>
>To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>Subject: [mythtv-users] DVD audio/video offset?
>Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:50:36 -0500
>
>I've managed to burn a DVD from a myth recored show with the script
>someone posted, which basically does this:  (thanks to the poster(s)!)
>
>   mpeg2desc -a0 < $1 > aud0 &
>   mpeg2desc -v0 < $1 > vid0 &
>   mplex -f 8 -V -o dvdmpg aud0 vid0 &
>   dvdauthor -o $WORKDIR -f dvdmpg
>   dvdauthor -o $WORKDIR -T
>
>It plays fine, except the sound is slightly out of sync with the video.
>The only way I notice it is watching people's lips while they talk,
>then it looks like the show is dubbed.  The show plays fine in Myth.
>
>I've tried using tcmplex instead of mplex, and I've tried avidemux2 to
>separate the steams instead of mpeg2desc, all with the same results.
>
>I see there is a sync-offset parameter for the [tc]mplex programs, but I
>know no idea what value to give it.  What offset value do other people
>use when making DVD's from .nuv files?  Trial & error seems like a
>rather lengthly process to figure this out.  :-)
>
>Thanks in advance, BS

When you  run avidemux2 do you let it recognize the audio format when
setting up (options 1-4, forget the tags on the buttons).  When I let it
recognize the audio stream itself I always get a 66ms offset.  I never have
a problem with the audio being out of sync (but lip-syncing is not really an
issue for me since I have, thus far, only transcoded cartoons).

HTH!

-- Harry O.