[mythtv-users] S-ATA Card recommendation

Maarten van den Berg mythtv at ultratux.org
Mon Mar 15 02:54:55 EST 2004

On Monday 15 March 2004 08:21, david.blevins at visi.com wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 10:20:11PM -0800, Steve Dorsey wrote:

> Nice thing about vendor supported drivers is that you can call tech
> support if you have any trouble installing the card.

In theory, yes. In practice, you're probably referred to an expensive hotline,
where you have a junior helpdesk person walk through his checklist and you
get to answer questions whether you rebooted / reinstalled the OS / sent in
your support coupon within the 5 days allowed.  And the minute he learns that
you patched something yourself, or use _another_ 3rd party driver in
combination with-, or built your own kernel, they tell you that that is
"beyond our aftersales support offerings", wish you a nice day, and hang up.

Yes, i'm a pessimist. But calling supportlines doesn't exactly help fix that.
;-\

No, me, I'd go for the linux software raid route myself... but YMMV.

Maarten