[mythtv-users] Where to set hue/saturation

Patrick Reynolds reynolds at cs.duke.edu
Wed Mar 10 09:42:30 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Tom Marshall wrote:

> > The picture from my mythtvbox is over saturated. (not considering the
> > colors, the picture from my mythbox is _better_ than the actual
> > TV-picture). Were is the the best place to change this setting?
>
> This is a bit tricky.  It is stored in the channel table in the database.
> The colour field is the saturation.  It's stored per-channel, so you would
> do this to update the setting globally:
>
>   $ mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg
>   (type password 'mythtv' here)
>   mysql> update channel set colour=#;
>
> I'm not certain what the range is.  I think it is 0-65535, with a default
> value of 32768.

That's true, but it's probably easier to set at least one channel
interactively as a model.  Go into Live TV and press 'G'.  Pressing 'G'
repeatedly will cycle among brightness, contrast, color/saturation, and
hue.  Pick values that look good for the channel in question, and _then_
go find and update them in the database.  To find them:
  select * from channel where chanid=10##;
where '##' is the channel.  Then do the 'update channel...' command above
to make all the other channels match.

Separately, you can press 'F' during Live TV or while viewing any
recording to set brightness, contrast, color, and hue in the playback
path (assuming your card supports XV color-tuning).  'F' settings apply to
all channels.  I would use 'F' instead of 'G' only if it seems to be your
TV-out that's jacking up the saturation instead of your tuner.  On my
system, both the tuner (KWorld) and the TV-out (s3) are too saturated, so
I ended up adjusting both.

--Patrick