[mythtv-users] Transcode entire DVD (menus, etc) to MPEG4?

Scott Nicholson mythtv at scottnic.com
Tue Mar 9 09:59:24 EST 2004

> > Wouldn't it be possible to rip an exact image of each DVD and mount
> > them in a virtual DVD-ROM drive?
>
> This is something I _hoped_ do to.
> <snip...>
> (maybe this is a feature request?)

My understanding is that this is already possible (although maybe not from
within Myth?), assuming disk space isn't an issue.

In fact, I don't think you even have to mount the image -- you just rip the
DVD to a folder on the hard drive and then point xine to that folder -- it
will play the DVD exactly as if it were an actual disc.

My question was mostly on how to save disc space by converting the mpeg2
video to mpeg4 (which makes the rip no longer DVD-compliant, which means
xine won't play it anymore -- although you can still play the movie files --
you just lose the menus)

Scott

---