[mythtv-users] Transcode entire DVD (menus, etc) to MPEG4?

Franco net.surfer at tiscalinet.it
Tue Mar 9 11:09:17 EST 2004

Hi,

> My question was mostly on how to save disc space by converting the mpeg2
> video to mpeg4

yes, I know that was the initial question but sorry, I don't have a
better answer than the others...

>>> Wouldn't it be possible to rip an exact image of each DVD and mount
>>> them in a virtual DVD-ROM drive?

> My understanding is that this is already possible (although maybe not from
> within Myth?), assuming disk space isn't an issue.
> In fact, I don't think you even have to mount the image -- you just rip the
> DVD to a folder

Hmm... yes, you think... but did you try it? I was thinking it too,
before giving it a try. What do you mean by "rip the DVD to a folder" ?
Using the "cp" command ? I've already tried in various ways, and always got
the same I/O error I get with "dd" ....

Franco