[mythtv-users] MythTV with Descaler

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 8 10:56:34 EST 2004

Quoting Carl Youngblood <carl at youngbloods.org>:

> I'm wondering if anyone has considered the possibility of combining the
> Descaler project (http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/) with MythTV.  It
> would be nice to use the Descaler code to improve whatever incoming
> source you were grabbing with your capture card.  Has anybody thought
> of this?  Am I missing something?
Myth already has a number of noise filtering/deinterlace filters available for
capture (only with dumb capture cards and software encoding) and for playback
(with any captured video, with the exception of if you use XvMC acceleration,
viaslice MPEG decoding on VIA EPIA motherboards, or PVR-350 TV-out for playback
of MPEG-2.)  For the most part, the scaling and deinterlacing filters available
with Myth are as good as those used by DScaler and tvtime.

The prevalence of hardware encoding cards these days has made work on capture
filters a rather low priority.