[mythtv-users] mythtvsetup won't run, exits with errors (Fedora)

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Sat Mar 6 23:29:23 EST 2004

On 6 Mar 2004 at 21:48, Cam Vertesi wrote:

> Right, so it looks like it's a problem with MySQL.  did you set up any
> passwords on your sql server?

Yes I did. Jarods write-up suggests that you set a root password.
But it seems to me that if mythsetup needs to access mysql then it
would need to know the password. (Just guessing, I have no clue)

>  Check the mysql logs in /var/log to see
> what's happening.  If myth is trying to access a database that doesn't
> exist, you'll see evidence there.

The logs talk about a missing innodb database, then tells you how
to fix it and refers you to a website. Did all that, no help.

> To check about permissions problems, first make sure that mythbackend
> and mythtv are not running (ps -ael |grep myth).  Then login to kde (or
> whatever) as root.  Open a terminal window, and type mythbackend.

It fails with error messages similar to those I get when I run
mythtvsetup. Hmm... Makes me think it might not be mysql at all,
but mythbackend.

>  Watch
> that badboy for any error output.  Then run mythtvsetup from a separate
> terminal window, and watch that for error output. If it works running as
> root, but not as your mythtv user, then you know it's a permissions
> issue.  If it still doesn't work, you can see what error output (if any)
> you receive.

Same errors when I log in as mythtv, or if I su to root, or if I log in as
root after a reboot.