[mythtv-users] Where does mythtv get the frequencies from?

Paul Koster mythtv at kosteronline.net
Tue Mar 2 14:28:39 EST 2004

From: <ebike at paradise.net.nz>
> Frequency information is in a really odd place, I found. It took me ages
to find
> out how to set the channels correctly, and only with help from this forum.

The same holds for me and even now I'm not using the 'standard' way of
configuring channels with frequencies. The problem basically is that MythTV
has no capability to specify frequencies for channels. Instead it relies on
those channel numbers/frequency id's which are not used in a standard way in
Europe.

> The method is this:
>
> 1. With xawtv find out what channel numbers correspond to what on-air
channel
> for your country/town etc, write them down.

Unfortunately xawtv does not work with PVR 250 / 350 cards as far as I
understood from previous messages.

> 2. In the setup program (i.e run ./setup from mythtv/setup/ directory)
goto the
> channel editor page, goto the next page and you will find a setting called
> "Frequency ID" (yep a confusing misnomer!!) and put in the channel number
you
> got from xawtv in there .... go figure!!

I'm using another aproach with my PVR 250:
- get the list of frequencies from your cable provider (from teletext or
their website, etc.)
- enter the frequency * 16 in the FreqId field (using any way you want, e.g.
mythweb, phpmyadmin, the setup tool)
- use the following script set as 'use external script' to tune channels
#!/bin/sh
test_ioctl -r tuner=0,freq=$1

--
Paul