[mythtv-users] controlling two digital cable boxes

Peter Lee petel at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Mar 1 14:42:08 EST 2004

Hi.

I'm sure that this has been asked and answered before, but for some reason I
have not found anything in the archives or on google.

I've been running MythTV very nicely for a while now (version 0.14, on an
FC1 with a pvr-250, fed by a comcast digital cable box).  I've just received
a second capture card, a pvr-350, and I am now planning to add this to my
mythbox and use a second digital cable box to feed it.  My question is
really very simple: How do I arrange for channel changing of the second
cable box?  I have only one serial port on the myth box, which is being used
to control the first cable box.  How do I set up the second one?

I'm sure that I'm not the only one with this kind of arrangement.  Is there
a cheap/easy way to, say, run a cable from a usb port on the myth box into
the serial port on the second cable box, and then use a second instance of
the "channel" script for this?

Thanks for the help.  I am becoming more and more impressed with this as
time goes by, and slowly but surely the WAF has been on the rise...

Peter