[mythtv-users] UK NTL analogue control

Stephen Longhurst steve at longsteve.com
Mon Mar 1 08:41:29 EST 2004

Hi all,

I'm just in the process of setting up a mythtv box for myself.
Hardware bits are arriving through the post as I type!

I plan to use a Hauppauge PCI Nova-t to get terrestrial digital
reception, and another analogue tuner to get input from my NTL Cable
box (an old General Instruments CFT-2000). I can only get NTL
analogue, not digital, and I don't want to get Sky Digital through a
dish yet, although I might go down that route if it looks to be the
best option.

Can anyone provide any insight into controlling the CFT-2000, so that
mythtv can change channels? I've read quite a bit about IR Blasters,
but was wondering if anyone had experience with this box? Currently
the TV (under which the myth box will sit) and the cable box are about
8 feet away, will this be too far?  Does anyone know if NTL do a more
modern cable box which is controllable by a serial connection?

Am I asking for trouble with the analogue cable box? Although I think
I know the answer already, is there a PC card that'll handle the cable
input directly, bypassing the CFT-2000. I've been thinking of getting
a Sky dish for quite some time now. If I do, are the sky boxes easier
to control?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

       Steve

--