[mythtv-users] OT: wireless 802.11g pci suggestions

David Shay david at shay.net
Sat Jun 26 23:06:30 EDT 2004

Another approach that I have used is to get a pair of Linksys WRT54Gs.  I
built my own Mythbox from a VIA motherboard with no available PCI slots
(already using it for a PVR250).  The "main" linksys WRT54G has the cable
modem attached.  The other one is attached to the the mythbox, and acts like
a wireless bridge.  Of course, you could go buy your own wireless bridge to
achieve this, but that is typically rather expensive.  You can get a WRT54G
for about $60 -- cheaper than many decent PCI wireless cards.

The key to making this all work is that the Linksys box itself actually runs
Linux, so people have written their own version of the firmware.  One of the
features, for instance, is allowing the WRT54G to act as a wireless
bridge/client to the main router.  The best variants of firmware are
available from http://www.sveasoft.com .
These allow for many different settings, including upping transmitter power,
creating a WDS (wireless distribution system), etc.  The new WRT54GS
("turbo") can also be similarly modified.

Just one more option.