[mythtv-users] OT: wireless 802.11g pci suggestions

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Sat Jun 26 22:30:41 EDT 2004

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Myth wrote:
> Anybody have suggestions on a good cheap PCI wireless card for my remote
> frontend? I am running FC1, and have a Netgear WGT624 AP. Can anything
> use the 'turbo' mode in linux?

I've used the D-Link Atheros-based cards with the madwifi driver; they
work acceptably. I've had some problems with kernel oopses with madwifi;
seems to happen occasionally with ivtv and/or openswan especially. I
haven't spent the time to run down the bugs, though, so it may or may not
actually be an issue with the cards.

I finally just gave up on wireless because of speed/signal strength
issues, and cut a couple holes in the walls and ran some wire. Those nice
5ft long flexible drill bits are great for getting between floors, and
those nice trim panels on the base of your walls are great for running
cables all the way around a room - just pull up the trim, and go. If
you've got some time and some networking skills, you'll likely be much
better long-term getting wires put in place. Depending on what gear you
need to buy, might even end up being cheaper than wireless.

I really just try to use wireless to let me roam with my laptop, and throw
wires in for every fixed machine.