[mythtv-users] Hardware ideas

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jun 24 17:49:48 EDT 2004

On Thursday 24 June 2004 14:20, David Wood wrote:
> This is really helpful, thanks! You reminded me just now that I've seen
> other success stories about the 9200 as well. Sounds like that's the card
> to get.

Hold on just a sec... One person's FUD-spreading about nVidia cards shouldn't
outweigh the myriad of folks that are very happy using them, myself included.

> I did have my doubts about the mx440 s-video quality. I've been fighting
> with "afterthought" s-video on nvidia cards for a while (I've had two).
> The latter, ti4400, is passable but that's in windows.

Not all cards are created equal. My Chaintech cards all produce very good
quality video on a TV hooked to it via SVideo. The difference in quality
between a PVR-350 and my GF4 cards is fairly miniscule.

> Now I'm definitely leaning towards software encoding+decoding. Cheaper and
> perhaps better?

Depends. Some of the cards that require software encoding are absolute crap.
The picture quality from my hardware-encoder cards is much better than that
from my non-hw-encoding cards.

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Clyde Stubbs wrote:
> > If you want TV-out, I recommend staying away from the MX440 - the closed
> > source drivers lack various features like interlacing, and the picture
> > quality from the on-board TV encoder is disappointing. The open-source
> > drivers have dismal performance.

And I recommend the GeForce 4 MX-440. Works great for me, and many other
folks. And for the second time, the TV encoder on a GeForce card DOES
interlace the signal for output to a TV, just like the Radeon does. The
no-interlacing ONLY affects VGA or DVI output. Now, perhaps the Radeon does
better with timings than the GF4s. I'm curious if you have deinterlacing
turned on in your setup...

> > This setup works very well driving my Yamaha amp and a Sony TV using
> > PAL 50Hz interlaced.

So is that PAL 50Hz interlaced via SVideo, or some other type of connection?
I'm not quite clear on what type of connection you're using, which has an
impact on what you're saying...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com