[mythtv-users] Mythbackend, PVR250, 2.6.7, nfs storage, zero length cat.

Chris Thompson ct-myth at cthompson.com
Thu Jun 24 18:04:19 EDT 2004

Question for those smarter than me.

I'm redoing my entire setup from scratch. Boxes are as follows.

Hostname: ark (fileserver)
Gentoo 2004.1
Self compiled Kernel 2.6.7
NFS server exporting /dev/md0 (3 160gig drives, raid5, XFS filesystem)
exports reads ...
"/u *(rw,insecure,async,no_subtree_check,insecure_locks,no_root_squash) "
portmap 5b-r8
nfs-utils 1.0.6
NFS v3 enabled in kernel for server and client modes.

Hostname: eye (mythbackend)
Gentoo 2004.1
Self Compiled Kernel 2.6.7 (only different than ark in the net card)
ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck95x-t
portmap 5b-r8
nfs-utils 1.0.6
NFS v3 enabled in kernel
Mounts ark on /u with fstab...
ark:/u /u nfs rw,noatime,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,intr,nfsvers=3,async

ivtv is working fine. If I "cat /dev/video0 > foo.mpeg" I get a nice mpeg
file which plays just fine in vlc and in WMP on the wife's XP box.

But if I do "cat /dev/video0 > /u/foo.mpeg" to write it to NFS, the file
shows up on the nfs server at zero length, and the file doesnt show the
full length until I ^C the cat. The file that does show up works fine.

Am I doing something wrong? Does it even matter? My guess is that cat
doesnt call a write() until it ends, and then flushes. if I dd /dev/zero to
the nfs mount, filesize climbs normally.

I'm going to go ahead with this, but would like some moral support.