[mythtv-users] Hardware ideas

Xavier Hervy maxpower44 at tiscali.fr
Thu Jun 24 12:44:45 EDT 2004

David Brieck Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:32:42 -0400, David Wood <david.wood at thestreet.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm getting ready to build a MythTV box. I've been reading a lot (hardware
>>db, google, blogs), and I wonder if anybody has an opinion about my ideas
>>so far (or if this will help others)?
>>
>>So far it sounds like an Athlon XP 2xxx+, a big HD, and a Hauppauge
>>PVR-350. But I have some reservations about the 350, since it sounds like
>>the TV output device driver is in flux and not reliable/stable. And is it
>>true that I won't be able to play movies through it that aren't in MPEG2
>>format? Will I have to awkwardly switch between using it as a decoder and
>>using it as a regular X display?
>>
>>I see a lot of people going with PVR-250 etc and an geforce mx440 for
>>output. Is that a better idea, even though the quality might not be as
>>good? It's certainly cheaper. But I'm most concerned with whether there'll
>>be fewer headaches...
>>
>>I want to put this in the entertainment center like a stereo component. So
>>minitowers are out, as are many desktops (has to fit in 18"W x 14"D). I
>>don't see any reasonably priced, prepackaged systems that are in this
>>formfactor. I'd consider "fancy" entertainment center cases (i.e. ahanix)
>>but would just as soon take a cheaper, simpler, more standard case that's
>>the right size. So far this is the best I've come up with:
>>
>>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-116-159&depa=0
>>
>>But I get the feeling there's a lot out there I don't know about. Is
>>anyone else using a case they'd like to recommend? In general, is there
>>anything else I should be wary of?
>>

>>noname - 1K Download
>>

> I'm using the Antec Overture:
> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-142&depa=1.
> I'm using this case with a variable speed cpu cooler:
> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-601&depa=1.
> It's very quiet and the case fits in great.
>
> I'm also using the 250 and 440mx. I'm very happy with the quality of display.

I would like to buy an overture because it's the only destop case  which
support atx and look good. but i have seen a lot of user not really
happy with it. (because  not very quiet expescially the power).
Can you tell me what you really use whit it ? did you use an lcd ?
I would like to use this one
http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/633/index.html#CFA633TMCKS (in
blue) in which materiel 5.25 " bay are they ?
the 3.5" bay look good even if i don't use them ?
What kind of dvd drive did you use that go well with overture (look
point of view and quiet)
Xavier