[mythtv-users] Hardware ideas

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 11:54:16 EDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:32:42 -0400, David Wood <david.wood at thestreet.com> wrote:

> I'm getting ready to build a MythTV box. I've been reading a lot (hardware
> db, google, blogs), and I wonder if anybody has an opinion about my ideas
> so far (or if this will help others)?
>
> So far it sounds like an Athlon XP 2xxx+, a big HD, and a Hauppauge
> PVR-350. But I have some reservations about the 350, since it sounds like
> the TV output device driver is in flux and not reliable/stable. And is it
> true that I won't be able to play movies through it that aren't in MPEG2
> format? Will I have to awkwardly switch between using it as a decoder and
> using it as a regular X display?
>
> I see a lot of people going with PVR-250 etc and an geforce mx440 for
> output. Is that a better idea, even though the quality might not be as
> good? It's certainly cheaper. But I'm most concerned with whether there'll
> be fewer headaches...
>
> I want to put this in the entertainment center like a stereo component. So
> minitowers are out, as are many desktops (has to fit in 18"W x 14"D). I
> don't see any reasonably priced, prepackaged systems that are in this
> formfactor. I'd consider "fancy" entertainment center cases (i.e. ahanix)
> but would just as soon take a cheaper, simpler, more standard case that's
> the right size. So far this is the best I've come up with:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-116-159&depa=0
>
> But I get the feeling there's a lot out there I don't know about. Is
> anyone else using a case they'd like to recommend? In general, is there
> anything else I should be wary of?
>

> noname - 1K Download

I'm using the Antec Overture:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-142&depa=1.
I'm using this case with a variable speed cpu cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-601&depa=1.
It's very quiet and the case fits in great.

I'm also using the 250 and 440mx. I'm very happy with the quality of display.