[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 17, Issue 79

Boyd II, Willy wboyd at fulbright.com
Tue Jun 22 11:38:36 EDT 2004

This kind of attitude and lack of understanding is what is destroying
technology in this country.  I surely hope that your perfect little
hands never touch mythmusic, mythdvd, or mythgame.  All three have just
as much capability for breaking copyright.  It is your lack of
understanding of the current computer world, coupled with your power to
vote, that enables dumbass politicians to get away with something like
the DMCA.  Read my (and others' posts) about the legitimate uses of
BitTorrent.  I've used it to download quite a few full distributions,
and public domain video.  Look at anyone trying to put a large amount of
LEGAL data on a very popular site, most all are moving to BitTorrent
because it really lessens the load on their servers and speeds up
downloads for the users tremendously.  (The most obvious example I can
think of is, again, linux distributions)  You are fighting it just
because you don't get the issues at hand.

BitTorrent obviously puts this nasty taste in your mouth, for which you
despise it and automatically associate it with Kazaa and other p2p
networks, and not just the networks but the rampant illegal acts taking
place on those networks.  Is this the case?  If so, please do us all a
favor and throw your PC out the window because you clearly don't
understand technology or the tools at hand.  Back away slowly from the
computer and go back to playing cricket or something.

Plenty are welcome to take this as a flame, but it's not.  Read between
the lines and you'll see my point:  if we the geeks still don't "Get
It", then there's no hope for the future because the general populace
surely never will.

You'll donate to help revise the GPL so that it can govern what can and
can't be written, and how the code can be used?  Hah.  Tell you what:
I'll donate to enact an IQ-test for those wishing to complain about
open-source software.