[mythtv-users] Recording LED almost working.

Chris Cox, N0UK chrisc at chris.org
Fri Jun 11 11:29:31 EDT 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Stephen Tait wrote:

> Like most users on this list, I imagine this would be more useful to me
> than using an LED plugged into the serial/parallel port. Something that
> flashed say the scroll lock light whenever things were being recorded. I
> think it'd be useful enough to be incorporated into Myth...? I had a gander
> around for keyboard light apps last night, but gentoo doesn't have anything
> immediately useful to me (GNOME/KDE based only), and I couldn't be bothered
> to install something like ledcontrol
> http://www.hut.fi/~spniskan/ledcontrol/ from source, as I had other fish to fry.

Whilst not in itself flashing the keyboard LEDs, the standard X utility
xset can be used to set or clear the state of the keyboard LEDs.

On my system here at work, only one of three LEDs is accessible (the shift
lock LED), but, the following script will happily cause it to blink once
every two seconds...

#!/bin/bash

while true ; do
	xset led
	sleep 1
	xset - led
	sleep 1
done

You can specify an optional integer AFTER the led paramater to specify
which LED to set/reset.  See `man xset`

Chris
--
73  Chris Cox  N0UK, G4JEC, ex-AB0CN, ex-G8PTC  RNARS #1157  EN34jv33

chrisc at Chris.Org        Ping Jockey's do it until they HEAR the burn...
  WWW Home Page: http://WWW.Chris.Org/   http://www.pingjockey.net
  Cultural observation:
	Europeans think 100 miles is a long way;
	Americans think 100 years is a long time!
  If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.