[mythtv-users] Old topic rehashed - X-less backend?

David myth at dgreaves.com
Thu Jun 10 12:11:36 EDT 2004

Stephen Tait wrote:

> I've seen this crop up a few times on the list, with a myriad of
> replies, none of which have really answered my questions, so I thought
> I'd pose them more verbosely here.
>
> Crux of the matter is, I have a dedicated file server running Debian
> stable which doesn't have X, Qt or a monitor, and I don't wish it to
> either. It's far more suited to running (at least part of)
> mythbackend, as it doesn't do anything very intensive and would be
> ideally suited to serving the DB (since I already have apache, PHP and
> MySQL on it as a testbed), and has RAID1 and all the usual gubbins.
>
> I've not looked into it yet, but I imagine it'd be fairly simple to
> migrate the current mythconverg db off the current backend and onto
> the debian box, and then point the backend at it, something I'm
> planning on having a crack at once I've got my spiffy new remote
> working - a matter of porting the db to another machine and then
> changing mysql.txt I presume. This would then result in the (better)
> scenario of the db lying on the more reliable box with all the other
> backend stuff happening on the front-backend box.

yep - absolute doddle.

> The question I really want to know is, is it at all possible (or
> planned as possible) to be able to run the entire backend suite on a
> headless box? There was talk of a webmin module in the past, but I
> don't know if this was planned as just an add-on to the standard
> backend (hence requiring X and Qt) or as an implementation of the
> backend without any of the X stuff.
>
> Thanks for any info!

rehashing the answers as I understand them:
 No

Not in the way you mean.

You need and will always need to install Qt - it is not just a widget
system it is a C++ component library. The components include data
abstractions that Myth uses.

X libs are pretty small. Just don't install or run an X server or any X
apps, don't plug in a monitor and tada - 1 headless workstation.

David