[mythtv-users] Can't cope with crowds or loud noise! PLEASE HELP

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 8 13:43:57 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 08 June 2004 13:09, Bill Chmura wrote:
> I am having a similar problem on a PVR350 when I record some shows
> for my daughter.  At different spots throughout the recording it
> makes a very loud crackling static noise at a higher than normal
> volumes.
>
> The only real difference is that these are recorded on the Di$ney
> channel and are at low resolution.  I am also having a problem with
> vertical bars on the picture at low resolution.
>
> Per some of the postings in the archives, I made sure I was using PS,
> checked the volume controls and tried playing back a recording on
> mplayer instead. In mplayer the noise problem goes away, but the
> picture still looks poor.
>
> I do not remember this happening with low quality recordings
> before...  I have been running mythcvs for a long time.  This is a
> build from a few days ago.
>
> Something else I noticed is that the high quality resolution is at
> 720xsomething, while low quality is set at 420x420 (the numbers I
> could have wrong, but they are a square)... should these be
> different?
>
> I have not touched the ivtv drivers 0.1.9 since I got them working
> awhile back...

Well, I'm not really an expert, but I can tell you that I have horrible
results recording at low resolutions with my HW MPEG (M-179) card.  I
tried recording at 1/2 D1 resolution (352x480) for burning to CVD (DVD
format on a CD), and got horrible frame jumps, flashes and a host of
other problems.  There may be a threshhold below which these cards just
don't perform well, at least with the existing incarnation of ivtv.

Now I just record at 640x480 and transcode.

-JAC