[mythtv-users] Re: What graphics driver (MX440)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jun 8 06:38:02 EDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 10:44:38AM +0100, Weston, Toby (ELSLON) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Bit of a newbie question I'm afraid, but I'm following Jarod's guide and
> have a query when it comes to upgrading my graphics driver...
>
> I've got a nVidia MX400 and was wondering what the best driver to use is for
> Myth. The guide explains that 1.0-4363 is the best to use, but using
> apt-get, there doesn't seem to be a RPM for my kernel(?).
>
> I have;
>
> Fedora Core Release 1 (yarrow)
> 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl

This kernel is not supported anymore (it has security
vulnerabilities). Please upgrade to 2188 at least. Then the guide will
apply again.

> (I skipped the install custom kernel step 7. as I know nothing about this if
> it goes wrong, there also doesn't seem to be an RPM for my kernel either).
>
> nVidea's site offers NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run, is it worth trying
> this?

If you don't want to upgrade, yes.

> So really, as there is so many RPMs on the ATrpms site I'm just wondering
> which to use? Any help much appreciated. If I should update the kernel,
> could you point me in the right direction for some reading?

After upgrading and booting into the new kernel, use

apt-get install kernel-module-nvidia-graphics<version>-`uname -r`
apt-get install nvidia-graphics<version>

with version one of 4363 4496 4620 5328 5336. You can safely install
all and switch around with nvidia-graphics-switch. If you skip
<version> you will get the latest (not always the greatest, though,
but it depends on your setup).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net