[mythtv-users] Segmentation fault:

Eric Hattemer eric at hattenator.dyndns.org
Mon Jun 7 19:31:21 EDT 2004

gadgetboyeee wrote:

> I've been banging me head against the wall for a week plus. I know new
> to Linux but this aint brain surgery!... perhaps it is... me needing one.
>
> I'm working with MythTV-0.14 running on a Mandrake distrubution... My
> platform is: Chaintech mainboard, 1.3 AMD, 384 megs RAM, 200 GB HDD,
> Ati Rage 128 video card, capture card Hauppauge-PVR-350, OS dual
> booting Mandrake 10,(currently running on a modified kernel
> 2.4.22-28mdk-Thac) and Win 2000.

Why a modified kernel?  And furthermore, where did it come from?  If
there's specific reason, that's fine, but you might do better with a
mandrake kernel.  Available for 10.0 is 2.6.3x, and available for cooker
is 2.6.7x.  Get the kernel and the source and the build directory will
be automatically linked for you.

> I continue to get this error: "Couldn't open Segmentation fault"
> error... I believe it's because the system is not able to address the
> capture card... I am trying to work with  the ivtv-0.1.9 driver
> however every time I've gone to compile the driver I get the following
> error: make : 11 : /lib/modules/2.4.22-28mdk build/ . config : NO such
> file or directory
> make : *** NO rule to make target `/lib/modules/2.4.22-28mdk/build /
> .config`. Stop

.config is created when you compile the kernel (actually when you pick
the settings for the kernel).  It is available automatically in the
kernel rpms from mandrake.  If you want to stick to your current kernel,
you will need to gmake xconfig; or gmake menuconfig;.  Although I wonder
if you have the source in the first place.  Make sure
/lib/modules/2.4.22-28mdk/build is a link that points to
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-28mdk.  Keep in mind that the directories should
match the string in uname -r.

-Eric Hattemer