[mythtv-users] Re: can't compile lirc w/ fedora core 2

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Mon Jun 7 11:21:28 EDT 2004

>> Hmmm... I hadn't tried this, but if I start again the compilation,
>> it often compiles some more files (including the one which had
>> interrupted the compilation in the previous attempt) before
>> interrupting again.
>
> Like the man said, that's a hardware problem.  Bad ram, bad
> disk controller, etc.

I recommend trying to underclock your FSB: I had a very similar
problem back in '98 with a K6 sometimes failing gcc compiles with an
ICE: it turned out that I had a faulty memory module that ran fine at
slightly slower speeds.  So, instead of 100 MHz FSB * 2.66 CPU
multiplier = 266 MHz, I ran at 90 MHz FSB * 3 CPU = 270 MHz.  The
machine didn't feel appreciably slower, and gcc thereafter never
failed.

Cheers,
Kyle