[mythtv-users] Brand new hardware

Andy Long aslong at uark.edu
Sat Jun 5 23:14:30 EDT 2004

Though I can't necessarily reccomend specific hardware (in the final
shopping stages myself), I can say watch out for those small form factor
cases that Dell makes.  We use those at work, and while they do save space,
they do NOT take full size PCI cards.  Since virtually any decent caputre
(and even most of the bad ones) are full size PCI, you'll have problems.

They are also quite difficult to upgrade, and can actually be pretty noisy
without some modifications.  The hard drives also get VERY hot in them.
For awhile, they were shipping them with those slimline Maxtor drives.  The
heat has caused about 50 of those drives to fail since we started using that
model 6 months ago (and this is out of about 600 PCs).

If you want small, I would suggest a shuttle box or the Antec Aria if you
want to put in your own motherboard.