[mythtv-users] Burn In on Televisions? How are people avoiding this?

ian mythtv at ianmills.com
Thu Jun 3 17:51:38 EDT 2004

James L. Paul wrote:

>>>LCD and DLP tvs do not have burnin, though LCDs will supposedly lose
>>>contrast with use, you can't burn sections of them in. A screensaver
>>>won't really help with that thought.
>

> I don't know where you get your information. Some LCD's certainly can suffer
> an effect similar to "burn in" and other related artifacts. For example, the
> icons on my Dell Inspiron 8200's KDE panel and desktop are "burned in" and
> visible when other content is on the screen. I can even dual-boot into
> Windows and still see icon outlines from my KDE desktop.
>
> True, the effect is not as permanent as it is with CRTs, leaving the LCD
> powered off for a couple days will mostly clear it up, but that doesn't mean
> it doesn't happen or isn't annoying. ;)

Hmm, I've certainly never had that happen to me, but then again I do
turn my lcd's off occasionally. if you google for lcd burnin you will
find several pages that say lcd's don't have burnin. What's happening to
you would probably not be considered burnin, maybe ghosting? But lcd's
do have lamps that eventually burn out and need replacing, so it is
advisable to turn off your tv when you're not using it to save on bulb
replacement.

You can't burnin an lcd by having the same image on it for 2 hours a day
and then leaving it off for a couple hours though, like you can with
crts, which is what he is afraid of I think.