[mythtv-users] HD noise and PVR250

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 1 15:51:54 EDT 2004

Will Dormann wrote:

>>However I was thinking--for other reasons as well--of switching my
>>current hauppage wintv go with a pvr250. Does anyone think this will
>>help with disk writes?
>>

>Um, the MythTV machine is going to be doing a lot of disk writes regardless
>of the tuner that you use.  Where do you think the video goes?

Do you have any other Linux machines on your network?  If so, you might
want to consider NFS storage.  That way, all disk activity would be on
your other machine (in another room).

Another option would be to use a RF remote and put the Myth box in
another room.  (I've got mine on the other side of the wall from the
living room/TV and just ran the cables through the wall.)  The main
benefit of this is that you eliminate even the CPU/PS fan noise.  Also,
walking into another room to load a DVD when friends are over always
sparks an interesting conversation (and a chance to evangelize MythTV).  :)

Mike