[mythtv-users] thing won't record.. *more info*

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jul 31 15:39:27 EDT 2004

Craig Tinson wrote:

>> am confused as to why things would appear in the "recording
>> schedules" table but not then actually get recorded.. and why once
>> they are in recording schedules why they don't get to "scheduled
>> recordings"..
>
> ok.. bit of an update.. I'm *completely* uninstalled Myth.. rpm -e'd
> everything.. then removed everything from mysql..  then started again
> from scratch.. *exactly* the same problem!

Usually a complete uninstall followed by a re-install with the same
results points to a configuration problem--unless "everyone else" is
having the same problem.  In these cases, it's usually been reconfigured
incorrectly or some "sticky" configuration settings have carried over.

> I *have* set everything up in mythtvsetup correctly.. (this must be
> about then 20th time I've installed myth.. I know the steps.. lol)

You keep assuring us that you've set everything correctly.  Therefore,
there's little we can do to suggest a fix.  Since Myth is working fine
for thousands of other people, it's unlikely to be a bug--and if it is
one, much more information is needed to positively identify it.

So, how about telling us *how* you've configured Myth--instead of
telling us it's configured correctly?  The people on this list are very
forgiving:  we won't hold judgement against you even if you did
configure it incorrectly. ;)

I recommend starting with the configuration of your Input Connections
and your hardware setup (i.e. which card you're using, which tuner
(internal or external) you're using, which cables are plugged in to
which ports of your card, etc.).  Give us some information instead of
"it's configured correctly, but it doesn't work," and we'll give you
some feedback.

> am I *really* going to have to flatten the whole box and re-install
> linux too to get this working? I can't believe it should come to that....

That's never required.  Once you identify the problem, it's possible to
fix it.  Identifying the problem requires a systematic approach to
verifying configuration settings, observed behavior, and observed
failures--and, generally, requires many eyes to verify these things.

Mike

P.S.  I'm not picking on you.  A lot of people on this list seem to be
saying the same thing.  However, "It's configured correctly," actually
means, "It looks to me like it's configured correctly," and that doesn't
help anyone...  Since I'm responding to you and ignoring at least three
other threads where people are doing the same thing, I'm far more likely
to continue helping to solve your problem than the others...