[mythtv-users] Ways to improve TV Out quality

David myth at dgreaves.com
Fri Jul 30 13:11:59 EDT 2004

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>>>How, unless you run mythfrontend as root?
>>>

>>man renice
>>

>     Users other than the super-user may only alter the priority of processes
>     they own, and can only monotonically increase their ``nice value'' within
>     the range 0 to PRIO_MAX (20).  (This prevents overriding administrative
>     fiats.)  The super-user may alter the priority of any process and set the
>     priority to any value in the range PRIO_MIN (-20) to PRIO_MAX.  Useful
>
>So, to repeat my question, how unless as root?

sorry, I was trying to be helpful and thought the man page expressed it
well (I did man renice before posting).

you ask originally "how unless you run _mythfrontend_ as root"

The extract you provide tells you - still run the mythfrontend as user
myth then login as superuser and renice it.
The super-user may alter the priority of _any_ process (including those
running as other users)

(if you felt the need you could script a renice as part of the root
owned/run startup init script that does su myth mythfrontend)

HTH

David