[mythtv-users] screen resolutions - am confused about the basics

Ian Armstrong mail01 at iarmst.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 12:56:04 EDT 2004

On Friday 30 Jul 2004 16:19, Craig Tinson wrote:
[...]
> Thanks for the ideas guys.. am gonna give this a go..
>
> Am still confused about the modeline stuff.. I found a "modeline
> calculator" which came up with the following:
>
> Modeline "800x450 at 60" 27.48 800 832 936 968 450 459 464 473
>
> I tried it but about an inch was missing of the bottom of the screen.. so I
> guess I did something wrong..
>
> If I set the 'DisplaySize 300 170' option that you mentioned.. I just
> checked in the man page for XF86Config and it says those numbers are in
> millimetres.. if I set DisplaySize and the above mentioned Modeline.. would
> that sort out the "inch missing from the bottom" problem?
>
> Am just worried about screwing up my TV.. this is new territory for me.. :)

You don't need to play with the modelines to correct the aspect ratio. That's
what DisplaySize is for. So an 800x600 display with the correct DisplaySize
would remove the borders. If you play back any 4:3 material, the screen will
be 'compressed' horizontally to give a border on the left & right edges, but
16:9 will be full-screen.

Also 300 170 does not reflect the true size of my TV, but it gives the correct
aspect ratio & has the effect of making the fonts larger and more readable
without messing up the font selection on a monitor connected to the same
machine.

--
Ian