[mythtv-users] screen resolutions - am confused about the basics

Craig Tinson craig at 8010.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 11:19:41 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Ian Armstrong
Sent: 30 July 2004 13:05
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] screen resolutions - am confused about the
basics

On Thursday 29 Jul 2004 16:00, Craig Tinson wrote:
> I have a sanya 28" tv.. it's a widescreen.. but whenever I play a
> widescreen movie.. in mplayer for example.. I still get black bands at
> the top and bottom...
>
> I think I've figured out the problem.. but not sure how to fix it.. I
> have a Radeon 9200SE thats running at 800x600
>
> Am I right in thinking that I need to change the resolution so that it's
> 16:9 "shaped"? if so.. how'd I do it.. I only know about the regular
> resolutions.. 640,800,1024 etc etc.. and which resolution would I go for?

You don't really need to play with the resolution. All you should need to do

is ensure DisplaySize in the X config is set to a 16:9 size. For example, in

the Monitor section of xorg.conf I use 'DisplaySize 300 170'. It's not quite

right, but it's close enough.

Although MythTV & xine honour the size, mplayer seems to ignore it, so you
need to run it with the command line option '-monitoraspect 16:9' Not ideal
if, like me, you have both 4:3 & 16:9 displays connected & move between
them.

-------------------------------

Thanks for the ideas guys.. am gonna give this a go..

Am still confused about the modeline stuff.. I found a "modeline calculator"
which came up with the following:

Modeline "800x450 at 60" 27.48 800 832 936 968 450 459 464 473

I tried it but about an inch was missing of the bottom of the screen.. so I
guess I did something wrong..

If I set the 'DisplaySize 300 170' option that you mentioned.. I just
checked in the man page for XF86Config and it says those numbers are in
millimetres.. if I set DisplaySize and the above mentioned Modeline.. would
that sort out the "inch missing from the bottom" problem?

Am just worried about screwing up my TV.. this is new territory for me.. :)

Thanks again for the helps guys..

Cheers

Craig