[mythtv-users] PVR350 TV-OUT (PAL) not Working (probably X-Server Config?)

Frank Bertling Frank.Bertling at t-online.de
Mon Jul 26 01:31:11 EDT 2004

Hi all,

my problem is now partially solved. The cat mpg to dev/video16 works properly
and I can see a clear picture now, but still when I start the X-Server now
the quality "improved" from a picture where one could just guess what is
displayed to a "double" picture (meaning that I have two mouse pointers, two
menus appearing and so on.) So could any of your guys give me some additional
information what to do now?

What I have done to solve the problems before is:

Use the suggested script to test....

insmod ivtv tuner=5 ivtv_pal=1 ivtv_debug=1
insmod tuner pal=1 type=5
insmod saa7115
DEV=/dev/video1
/usr/bin/test_ioctl --device=$DEV -u 0xff
/usr/bin/test_ioctl --device=$DEV -p 4
/usr/bin/test_ioctl --device=$DEV -f width=720,height=576
/usr/bin/test_ioctl --device=$DEV -v input=7,output=1
insmod msp3400 once=1 simple=1 standard=0x0a
# Load the saa7127 without any tv output
insmod saa7127 enable_output=0 output_select=2 pal=1
# Send something to the decoder which seems to fix the tv display
# This is a short mpg captured using cat /dev/vide16 > sample.mpg .. ctrl-c
dd if=/root/sample.mpg of=/dev/video16 bs=64k
# Now put the saa7127 back in, enabling the output
rmmod saa7127
insmod saa7127 enable_output=1 output_select=1 pal=1
# Finally the framebuffer
modprobe ivtv-fb

Then I modified it a little (will post this one, when I have access to the
MythTV machine again,
And tried,

> Fix it for video output with
>     ivtvfbctl /dev/fb1 -globalalpha -nolocalalpha -alpha 0

This works great !!!!!!!!!! Thanks a lot so far.

> and for framebuffer (X output) with
>     ivtvfbctl /dev/fb1 -noglobalalpha -nolocalalpha

But this leads to the double picture I described... :-((

> Note that your programs (i.e. MythTV) will take care of this for you, so
> this only really applies when testing using non-ivtv-aware tools (i.e.
> cat/dd).

If I the start the Mythfrontend nothing changes but I also have a "double"
pciture with the frontend (Yes I changed the gui display resolution to PAL-TV
720x576, but it wouldn't help either)

> >Your XF86Config is almost identical to mine, apart from I use the
> >ivtvdev driver from Mathias Badaire.  Get it from
> >http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/ and change the Driver "fbdev" line
> >above to Driver "ivtvdev".  I never tried the standard framebuffer
> >driver, but everyone says the ivtv one is much better, and it works
> >great for me.

I have tried this one too, no change....

> Definitely a must--especially since the newest CK patches disable direct
> framebuffer output to the PVR-350 framebuffer.  It is not safe to do
> framebuffer writes while the decoder is running--data must be transfered
> using DMA or it will lock up the card (and possibly the system).  Note
> also that these ck releases (the .tgz files, not the .diff files) have
> provided an updated ivtvdev driver (with some bugfixes).  I can't tell
> you whether the updated ivtvdev works with older ivtv drivers.  See
> patches/README for more information about installing ivtvdev.
> I'll also mention that the newest CK patches autodetect settings--even
> the PAL settings automatically.  For example, with
> ivtv-0.1.10pre2-ck100b, the only required settings in modules.conf (or
> modprobe.conf) should be:
>     alias char-major-81 videodev
>     alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
>     # Only if using the ivtv framebuffer
>     # Even then, optional, could manually be inserted
>     #add above ivtv ivtv-fb
> And the ivtv modules are loaded with:
>     modprobe ivtv

So your advising me to try the ivtv-0.1.10pre2-ck100b?
Would this download contain ivtv _and_ ivtvdev files?

Still a little bit unhappy, but I can at least see some ligth at the end of
the tunnel.

Frank