[mythtv-users] TV Out quality problems (nvidia)

Ville Vehvilainen buddha at cs.tut.fi
Thu Jul 22 07:49:06 EDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, John Goerzen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I finally got my TV out working (turned out I had defective hardware
> before.)  It's working, but I have two main problems: color and motion.
>
> I have a nforce2 motherboard with an intergrated GeForce4 MX (NV18) GPU,
> which features integrated TV out.  I'm running nvidia's drivers, version
> 6106.  I have Debian unstable on this box and X 4.3.0.dfsg.1-5.

This is probably the reason. I had the same problem with my MSI K7N2G
board. Couldn't find a solution, and bought a cheap GeForceFX 5200 which
solved the crappy color reproduction. Also got a DVI interface as a
bonus. I'm afraid that the jerky motion issues are impossible to fully
solve (except by using a PVR350?) at this time; see any number of recent
threads for more information.

A friend with an Abit Nforce2 board tells me that his TV-out quality is
perfectly fine; I haven't had the opportunity to do a side-by-side
comparison so cannot verify.

It seems very possible that different manufacturers construct their
Nforce2 boards differently, perhaps using a different brand of TV encoder
chip (or the one integrated in the NF2 GPU)  and therefore the quality,
overscan etc issues may vary between manufacturers to a great degree.

Anyway, sorry to say it but you're probably out of luck with the
integrated graphics - just find a cheap GF4MX or FX5200 and you'll be
fine.

--
Ville Vehviläinen <buddha at cs.tut.fi> Tel. +358 40 8491076