[mythtv-users] TV Out quality problems (nvidia)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jul 16 17:04:18 EDT 2004

John Goerzen wrote:

>First, on color.  The picture on the TV appears washed-out -- not enough
>contrast or color, perhaps.  However, the reds are extremely vibrant in
>some instances, so turnnig up the color level control on the TV only
>makes things worse.  I've played with both the TV color controls and the
>color options in the TV and Xv panels of nvidia-settings, but just can't
>seem to get it right.  When I look at the same recordings on a VGA
>monitor or a laptop LCD, they look just fine, so I don't believe my
>PVR-250 capture card is to blame.  (Though I could be wrong.)

Have you tried adjusting the color, hue, etc. in Myth?  Hit "F" while
watching a TV or recording.

>Secondly, on motion.  When there is motion -- a panning camera, for
>instance -- things look bad on the TV.  I have tried things without the
>deinterlace or jitter reduction turned on.  When I have those off, I see
>interlacing effects on the TV -- horizontal lines offset from each
>other, like I would expect to see on a VGA screen.  But I do not see
>those effects when watching a signal hooked up directly to the TV.
>
>If I turn on deinterlace and jitter reduction, then a panning camera
>results in an image that is, well, jittery.
>
>Either way, it's hard to watch.

What are your bitrate settings?  I can't really offer you suggestions
for good ones (as it seems to be a very emotional subject for most
people), but it might be worth trying some other bitrates (i.e. higher
bitrates) to see if it helps...

>Also, one other weird problem: whenever MythTV is generating a screen
>that is black or mostly black, my TV thinks that it's lost the SVIDEO
>signal.  As soon as the output brightens up, the TV is back to normal.

Perhaps that will be fixed with your color settings???

Mike