[mythtv-users] Need advice for storage project

Maarten van den Berg mythtv at ultratux.org
Thu Jul 22 05:57:17 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 15:11, Nathan Richardson wrote:
> Thanks. I was considering something similar and I also have a couple
> of old 10GB drives that would be perfect for this. I don't have any
> old processors or motherboards, though, while I do have a firewire-IDE
> bridgeboard and an old SCSI 4-bay enclosure (great deal at $30).
>
> If it doesn't work out (samba issues, Firewire 400 too slow, etc.), I
> think I should be able to put a mini-itx or other small motherboard in
> the enclosure and make an NAS box...
>
> Anbody got any other interesting mass storage setups?

I have an 8-disk server in the "basement" here.  For ease of setup and
eventual fixing, the OS and the storage are kept strictly separate. So it
sports one 6.4 GB drive with the entire OS, and seven 80GB disks forming a
raid5 volume with a hot spare, which leaves 400 GB useable space.

I'm currently contemplating its upgrade / decommissioning. I've ordered six
160 GB units (SATA) but I've not decided yet where to place them... inside
the myth box will give space, heat and noise issues. Inside the current
server could work except for the fact I cannot kill the old array before the
new one is built (and thoroughly tested!).  And even I do not dare to put 14
disks in one chassis, especially when half of those drives are filled with
data. But buying new hardware just for this seems wasteful, to say the least.

Maarten