[mythtv-users] Re: Avermedia M179 issues w/ CVS Myth on 2.4.x kernel

Dennis Hand 4hands at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 21 10:41:39 EDT 2004

> I decided to buy the Avermedia M179 card at frys for $40 and swap out my
> BTTV card. Big mistake. The most I can get the sucker to work is watch
> livetv. Once it trys to record it bombs. Most of the time Livetv doesn't
> work either but I restart the ivtv driver and it works. I'm running the
> apt-get latest version of ivtv 0.1.9 I believe. Anyone have any suggestions
> as to something I can try that might make this stable like my BTTV card was?
> I am considering putting the BTTV card back in and returning this to Frys.

> Johnny Lee

Sounds like you have a wrong input selected. If your using S-Video you need to choose input #4 S-Video0 I believe. I just installed one about a month ago and noticed that there are still only 5 inputs to choose from. There should be 10. If you had that many then input #8 would be what you would want if using S-Video. At one time I thought Axel had put this fix into his rpm's. There was one line that needed to be removed from Chris Pinkham's patch. I have gone this route before with using just a plain vanilla kernel and compiling the ivtv-0.1.9 driver along with this patch and you then get 10 inputs. S-Video works beautifully. This was the problem(s) most people were(are) having with the M179 card. This is the fix for the patch:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/59088?search_string=M179%20yuan;#59088

-Dennis