[mythtv-users] Jarod's guide: Disabling screen saver and enabling autologin

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Jul 16 14:46:04 EDT 2004

On Friday 16 July 2004 05:37, Jeff wrote:
> I found two little problems with the otherwise
> excellent instructions in Jarod's guide.
>
> The line that reads
>    echo "/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -dpms s off" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> should be split into two lines, one to turn off dpms and
> one to turn off the screen saver.
>
> I get an error back that says that my server doesn't support
> the dpms extensions (perhaps this is an issue with my XF86Config
> file) and as a result of the error, 's off' was ignored.

Hrm. Works for me all on one line...

> I found that in order to enable autologin in addition to
> enabling it in gdmsetup I also had to go to
>   RedHat Control Center->System Administration->Login Manager
> Press the AdministratorMode button and enter the root password.
> Pick the Convenience tab and enable autologin for the mythtv
> user.  I also enabled password-less login for this user, I'm not
> sure if this was necessary or not.

Is this Fedora Core 1 or 2? I haven't ever had to do any of that on FC1, and
auto-login works for me just like I wrote it. Still haven't really dug my
teeth into FC2 a whole lot. (Been focusing more on SuSE 9.1 Pro and RHEL3
lately -- though not for Mythical purposes)...

> Finally, your instructions for configuring mythfilldatabase only
> give you a window of 2 hours. This may be something which you haven't
> gotten around to fixing up yet but given the notes about the load on
> zap2it, it might be worth increasing 7200 or referencing some
> of the discussions on this topic.

Haven't got around to it.

> Given the implementation of the
> housekeeping thread (from the list) it doesn't seem like letting
> myth schedule the update is the best solution.

Yep. I believe work has been done in CVS to remedy this.

> One solution:
>    http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/72785
> but I would change days in the script so it only runs every
> other day.

Not something I'd suggest doing. Then you'd have the potential to miss an
entire day's worth of last-minute programming changes. In addition to adding
data onto the end of your existing guide data, mythfilldatabase re-checks the
upcoming day's programming for changes.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com