[mythtv-users] Jarod's guide: Disabling screen saver and enabling autologin

Jeff jeff at intersystems.com
Fri Jul 16 08:37:12 EDT 2004

I found two little problems with the otherwise
excellent instructions in Jarod's guide.

The line that reads
   echo "/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -dpms s off" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local
should be split into two lines, one to turn off dpms and
one to turn off the screen saver.

I get an error back that says that my server doesn't support
the dpms extensions (perhaps this is an issue with my XF86Config
file) and as a result of the error, 's off' was ignored.

I found that in order to enable autologin in addition to
enabling it in gdmsetup I also had to go to
  RedHat Control Center->System Administration->Login Manager
Press the AdministratorMode button and enter the root password.
Pick the Convenience tab and enable autologin for the mythtv
user.  I also enabled password-less login for this user, I'm not
sure if this was necessary or not.

Finally, your instructions for configuring mythfilldatabase only
give you a window of 2 hours. This may be something which you haven't
gotten around to fixing up yet but given the notes about the load on
zap2it, it might be worth increasing 7200 or referencing some
of the discussions on this topic. Given the implementation of the
housekeeping thread (from the list) it doesn't seem like letting
myth schedule the update is the best solution.
One solution:
but I would change days in the script so it only runs every
other day. I guess it would be better to pick a random # (0 or 1)
and pick which set of 'every other day' to use. I wonder if something
like:

DAYS0="0 2 4 6"
DAYS1="1 3 5"
DAY="$(expr $RANDOM \% 2)"

I'm not sure how to put the string "DAYS" together with
the value of $DAY to form a variable name which can then
be referenced to get the list of days.