[mythtv-users] Native lirc support with Hauppauge pvr350 and mandrake 10 (howto)

Tomas Krag tt at krag.org
Wed Jul 14 18:01:53 EDT 2004

I thought I'd just comment to the list with a little tip for getting
lirc working with mandrake 10 and thac's mythTV rpms.

I compiled lirc-0.7.0pre2 as described in the MythTV howto
(http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-22.html#ss22.2), but I was
loathe to recompile mythTV since thac's RPMs work so well.

So I fooled around with all the different lirc config files, modules
etc. until I found a post that mentioned the existence of liblirc_client
files from an older version of lirc in /usr/lib/

These files are the ones mythTV seems to be looking for rather than the
ones I compiled that are in /usr/local/lib/

This is, as far as I remember what I did, in brief:

1. I installed lirc and lirc-remotes from the official mandrake sources

2. Installed mythtv-suite from thac's sources (http://rpm.nyvalls.se/)
(they seem to be down at the moment).

3. followed chapter 22 of the mythtv howto, including uninstalling the
lirc and lirc-remotes packages, and compiling the newest version of lirc
from sources.

4. Deleted the old liblirc_client files in /usr/lib/

5. symlinked the 0.7pre2 liblirc_client files from /usr/local/lib to
/usr/lib
	cd /usr/lib/
	ln -s /usr/local/lib/liblirc_client.so.0.0.0
	ln -s /usr/local/lib/liblirc_client.so.0
	ln -s /usr/local/lib/liblirc_client.so
	ln -s /usr/local/lib/liblirc_client.la
	ln -s /usr/local/lib/liblirc_client.a

I am no expert and not quite ure why or how this works,
but I have lirc support now, and haven't had to recompile mythTV.
sweet!

cheers

/tomas