[mythtv-users] Questions about EPIA M10k and PVR350

Tomas Krag tt at krag.org
Wed Jul 14 16:24:07 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 17:39, Stephen Longhurst wrote:
> > 1. DVD and video playback is very slow, using Xine (or mplayer for that
> > matter). Is there some way to speed it up?
> Are you using the PVR-350 for TV output?  If so, you should use the
> enhanced X driver for use with the PVR-350 framebuffer, and not the
> standard fbdev driver.  This gives fairly good results, although there
> I get video tearing issues.  If you are already using the x driver,
> then I'm not sure what to try.

OK, I will give that a spin, although I am not sure what you mean by
video tearing issues, bit I guess I'll find out.
Has anyone experimenting with using the Hauppauge TV-out for LiveTV and
watching recordings, and the Via EPIA TV-out for playback of DVD's and
Videos? i.e. using a SCART switcher or something?

> > 2. I get good sound through the s-video ==> SCART cable that came with
> > my pvr350, I can't seem to get anything but noise if i loop back the
> > TV-out to audio to the line-in of my epia soundcard. Any ideas?
> If you're using the SCART cable that came with the PVR-350, the 3.5mm
> flying lead that also comes out of the same lead isn't the audio that
> goes out to the decoder.  I think it's actually the the audio of what
> the encoder is actually receiving at that point, which isn't a lot of
> good if you're time shifting.

Oh, ok, that makes sense. So if I were to use the composite to s-video
cable instead, I could split the signal, and feed the audio into the
line-in on the via board, and the line-out from the via board into my
stereo. That seems to be the only way to get audio from music as well as
LiveTV through the stereo, no?

thanks

/tomas