[mythtv-users] zero length program files with pcHDTV

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Tue Jul 13 07:39:46 EDT 2004

Jerry Rubinow wrote:

> I'm having problems recording programs with an HD setup.  Using
> mplayer to directly play /dev/dtv0 works fine, so I know the card is
> working properly and signal strength is ok.  I believe I have
> permissions and access set properly in the directories where it
> stores the video.
 >
> What happens is that a 0 length .nuv file gets created.  I setup a
> manual 2 minute record, the console output says it started recording
> on cardid 1, sourceid 1, signal strength above 80%, changing to
> RecordingOnly.  Two minutes later, changing to None, found changes in
> todo list, couldn't read file /video/programs/1003*.nuv.  And
> checking the file, it has 0 length.
>
> I'm logged in as root as I'm doing all this, just to eliminate any
> possibility of access problems.
>
> Anything I'm overlooking?  Other things I should check?

What city, what station?  Just one station, or all?

Make sure your frequid column is set up properly (database or mythweb).

Run your backend with '--verbose playback,channel' and make sure it's
tuning to the frequid you think it is; also that you have the right
frequency table for HDTV (i.e. not Cable).

If you're running a 2.6 kernel, make sure you run 'dtvsignal' or similar
before starting the frontend (once per boot).  This is a bug we need to fix.

-Doug