[mythtv-users] Setup Questions (kernel/second tuner card/vga->hdtv)

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Jul 12 14:18:22 EDT 2004

On Monday 12 July 2004 01:42, Liquid Gecka wrote:
> I finally got my MythTV box up and running enough to
> get past the wife factor. Now with that hurdle past I
> am looking to change/update a few things. If you have
> any thoughts and suggestions on any of these steps
> please let me know:
>
> Step 1: I want to move from the Hauppauge PVR 350's TV
> out to my nvidia card through an adapter to my HDTV.
> Anybody know of a good YbYrYwhatever converter capable
> of doing 1080i? Something in the $100 range would be
> nice.

I use an Audio Authority 9A60. I got one new for $108, can be had for less on
eBay. You might want to give my little HDTV page a read as well:

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/mythhd.php

> Step 2: Get the second video input going. I currently
> have a ATI TV Wonder VE that I can seem to get working
> for anything. I can get video okay but I can not get
> it to change channels for anything. Any thoughts?

I hate bttv cards. :-)

> (seems to be a tuner problem between ivtv and bttv,
> but that is a rough guess)

I've used both in the same system before without a problem, so no clue what's
going on there.

> I am thinking about getting
> an Avermedia M150. Anybody using a PVR350 and a M150
> in the same system?

The M150 doesn't work with ivtv, its listed under the "known NOT to work"
section in the ivtv docs. It uses a much different reference design (Conexant
Blackbird) than the M179 and PVR-x50, pairing a cx23880/1 chip with the
cx23416. Don't get one if you want it to work anytime soon.

> Step 3: Switch over to a 2.6 series kernel. Currently
> I am running 2.4.25 because it is the only one that
> works with the i2c driver for the hauppauge card. With
> 2.4 everything works fine, with 2.6 the remote only
> works %10 of the time if that. Anybody been able to
> overcome this issue?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Stick to 2.4. Wait for 2.6 and the associated
drivers to mature a bit. Unless you're talking HDTV playback or SATA drive
support, there's currently no really compelling reason to use a 2.6 kernel
for a Myth box.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com