[mythtv-users] Problem with linux on recent Xbox (2004-04-26)

Tim Tait t.tait at comcast.net
Sun Jul 11 22:39:26 EDT 2004

I am posting this to here because 1) prospective mythtv users may wish
to know, and 2) for some reason comcast is blocking my attempts to email
the xbox-linux-users list.

When trying to soft-mod the xbox as described here
<http://www.xbox-linux.org/docs/howtoswprep.html> myself and others are
getting an error from xbox_tool "Error in BootDecyptEEPROM" (yes
including that typo). It is rumoured that these new Xbox 's are version
1.6 and have a new eeprom format. I have not seen a resolution for it
yet. It is not clear to me if this error merely prohibits the extraction
of the HDD key for later restoral, or if it would actually cause the
linux install to fail.

Also the recent sales at CompUSA and BestBut where you get MechAssault
free with the Xbox, FYI that is not the right version of  game needed to
do the softmod.

So if you are considering buying an Xbox to use as a MythTV frontend,
you might be well advised to wait unless you can find an older xbox (how
old you need I don't know, but 2003 should be ok I think).

Tim