[mythtv-users] Quality of recordings degraded

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 8 09:34:27 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 07 July 2004 19:29, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> John Kuhn wrote:
> > I've had this happen to me more then once.. rebooting seems to make
> > it right again..
>
> This is Linux not windows..  Just unload an reload the driver takes
> about 2 seconds.

If it were simply a matter of a driver issue, then that would work.
Unfortunately, according to the ivtv list, it's something to do with
the card.  Something on the card (some register or something) doesn't
get re-initialized even if you unload/reload the driver and/or the
firmware.  Only a power cycle resets it.

Some people have success clearing up the problem by reloading the
driver, or by changing channels or card inputs; I don't, nor do a
number of other folks.  Occasionally a driver reload works for me, but
a power-cycle *always* works.  Of course, my situation is probably
complicated by the fact that I'm using a patched 1.9 driver with 2
M-179 cards.

-JAC