[mythtv-users] SPDIF and analog audio simultaneously

J. Scott jscott at oddpost.com
Wed Jul 7 00:10:21 EDT 2004

Thanks to a lot of information from this archive, I was able to get my SPDIF output working properly using my nForce onboard audio.

I'm still working on the issue of being able to output analog audio simultaneously with SPDIF. I distribute the audio and video throughout my house via a rf modulator that requires an analog audio signal. For this purpose, I have to always have analog audio enabled.

I recently got a 6.1 home theater set up, so I'd like to be able to send a digital audio signal directly to the receiver. I really only need this feature for MythVideo and maybe MythMusic.

So I'm looking for ideas on how to either:

1. Have the audio output delivered in both analog and digital format simultaneously. Everything I've seen so far indicates that you have to specify a single device (analog or digital) for the audio output. I wonder if a solution might include using a separate soundcard, or using some of the other 5.1 channels built into the onboard soundcard???

OR

2. Devise a simple way to switch between digital output and analog output, preferrably using the remote control. This is reasonably easy with MythTV and MythMusic, but I can't see any way to do it in MythVideo without altering the mplayer command line- a little tricky from the remote!

Worst case I guess I could get a cheap front-end (xBox?) to put in the cabinet with the home theater receiver. I believe the xBox supports SPDIF output.

Thanks for the ideas!