[mythtv-users] Re: EFF calls for developers for MythTV

Jason Gabriele jasongabriele at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 6 15:58:00 EDT 2004

>There's a different point of vue that says that MythVideo is a part of
>MythTV and thus should behave the same and that which application
>MythVideo uses to do the task is an implementation detail the user
>should not have to worry about.

>So while using MPlayer or Xine to play videos simplifies things from a
>development point of view, it can hurt ease of use. Corporate types
>would say it's a tradeoff between time-to-market and integration<g>.

i agree having a builtin player would be really nice but this has been
tried before. there was a guy working on one but he said that there was
too many problems with it and gave up on it. you have to realize it
probably wouldnt make a difference with a commercial distribution
because they would have setup mplayers keys to work like mythtvs. also
many driver setup woes would already been taken care of because they
would most likely ship the hardware with the software preinstalled.

personally my dream for mythtv doesnt really involve mythtv's
developers at all. i want to be able to watch digital cable with hdtv
and not have to use the cable co's box. even though some cable co's
offer time-shifting ability, that will disapear in the future just like
the EFF is warning. even if mythtv were somehow forced to comply with
the content flag, you have the source and can alter and rebuild it
yourself.