[mythtv-users] Distorted sound on LiveTV

Darryl Okahata darrylo at soco.agilent.com
Tue Jul 6 13:50:32 EDT 2004

Michael Skaastrup <Michael at Skaastrup.dk> wrote:

> I don't think it is the audio level, because when i listen to the output
> from the server(unmuting the aux in), the sound is crystal clear. But
> when showing through LiveTV on clients, the sound distorts. It must be a
> software problem.
>
> But maybe i'm turning down the wrong lever. Who knows. In alsamixer i
> have turned down every lever to about 30 pct, as you suggested, but even
> though the sound level is lower, the quality is the same. (distorted)

     Are you going through the M10000 pcm output?  If so, you're
probably running into the same issue I am.  Unfortunately, I have not
yet found a solution, aside from setting the playback sampling to 48KHz
(which can be done for mplayer and mpg123, but I have not found a way to
have mythtv do this).  There are a number of places that talk about this
problem.  Here's one:

	http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=372

Look at section 5.6, "48kHz Sampling".

[ Well, a solution for mythtv TV playback, is to use a PVR-350 and use
  the TV-out, which bypasses the M10000 pcm output.  Unfortunately, this
  is only useful for TV watching, as it does nothing for music and video
  playback (and, there are other issues with this approach).  ]

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo at soco.agilent.com