[mythtv-users] Advice on cheap boxes for front-ends only

Jason Keirstead mythtv at keirstead.org
Tue Jul 6 09:26:38 EDT 2004

I am looking at setting up a home-lan myth setup, where al l my equipment for
recieving signals ( sat dish boxes, cable boxes, encoder boxes ) will be in a
closet in the basement, and I will have a small, cheap, low power front end
box at every TV. This way I can capitalize on myth's backend / frontend
functionality.

I was wondering what people have for advice for a low cost front end only box.
So far my prime candidate has been a suitably modded XBox, which seems to be
cheaper than most other solutions I have been pursuing ( including building
my own microATX based box ).

Other solutions I have been thinking of are a low end laptops, or maybe single
board computers. However, I am kind of at a loss as to what my minimal
hardware requirements would be for a laptop to run as a front end.

Any suggestions at all would be appriciated.